Saturday, November 21, 2009

Holy Hell


I don't have time to post this....but I must, if I am loyal to y'all and worth a shit as a food blogger. I don't want to take a bucket of guilt to my grave. I am working my ass off from now until Thanksgiving, and I have to cook when I can. Remember, I do most everything from scratch. I HAVE to do a soup for Thanksgiving. Fall = Soup. Period. The soup I made tonight makes me want to slap the crap out of someone's Grandma.

This is not easy, but it is not hard. It is just time consuming. Get a bottle of wine, and prepare yourself for the aroma that will escape from your kitchen.

Butternut Squash with Sausage and Wild Rice Bisque

Heat up your oven to 400 degrees. Peel and seed about 4-5 lbs. (3-4) Butternut Squash. Cut it up into 1" chunks. Toss the chunks in a bowl with a few tablespoons olive oil and some kosher salt. Line a baking sheet or two with foil and roast for 45 minutes to one hour. Blow your nose, because you want to smell this stuff really good! Remove it from the oven and cool completely. Put it in a really large bowl and add about 3 cups of chicken stock. Puree it with a boat motor hand held blender, or put it in a real blender in batches. Puree until smooth and set aside.

Have a glass of wine.

While your squash is in the oven cook 1 1/2 cups of wild rice in 5 cups of chicken stock. Heat the stock first, with 1 cup of chopped onions, then add the rice. Simmer for about an hour. Remove the rice and spread on a cookie sheet to cool. Line it with foil so the cleanup is easy and you don't have to scrub the damn pan.

Get about 5 ears of corn and cut the kernels off of the cob. Cut up about another 1 1/2 cup of onions and add to the corn.

Now, heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a stock pot. Add 1 1/2 lbs of chopped up smoked sausage. Sautee for 3 minutes. Add the corn and onions and sautee for 3 more minutes. Add some kosher salt and cracked pepper. Add 6- more cups of stock and the Butternut Squash Puree and the rice. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Now, of you are making this way early, like I am, cool to room temperature and freeze until the day before you want to serve. If you are making this to eat ASAP, then add 2 cups of half and half and a tablespoon of flat leaf parsley leaves. Serve. If you freeze it, add the 1/2 and 1/2 and parsley after you reheat it. Don't freeze if you are serving this less than 2 days before you make it.

A dollop of goat cheese in the center when you serve, will be amazing!

This soup will make you famous. Trust me.

This is easy Gor-met soup that will impress your friends and enemies. Especially your enemies. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment