Monday, December 7, 2009

Oyster Chowder


This cold weather screams oysters to me. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am off of work today, (finally!) so I just have to make an oyster supper.

But before I do, I am preparing for company that is coming this week. So, I'm gonna kill 2 oysters with one stone. I am making a traditional Louisiana Seafood Gumbo on Thursday to honor my darling sister in law who is visiting from San Diego. (Bless her heart) She was born in Louisiana and I want to tickle her with food that brings back her Cajun memories, or just makes her wonder why she moved there in the first place. I just hope all of that tofu and tacos hasn't gone to her head. So, while I am making my chowder for tonight, I am going to begin to prepare for my gumbo. Recipe will follow later.....

Back to my Oyster Chowder.

This will make enough for 10 people. I'm gonna give you that recipe, but I'm cuttin' mine in half. Oysters and cream do not freeze well.

Fry up about 3/4 lb. of chopped up bacon in a large dutch oven. Get it almost crispy. Add about a cup of chopped onion,and a cup each of chopped celery and carrots. Throw in some salt, cayenne, and around 6 bay leaves. Cook about 10 minutes until the veggies are tender.

Add 3/4 cup of fresh all purpose flour. Stir it up to blend it with the veggies. Cook until golden. Add about 8 cups of chicken stock and bring to a slight boil. If you go back to the beginning of my blog you'll find the recipe for the best chicken stock in the world. If you have a problem with chicken feet, buy Swanson's. (You big chicken, you!)

Add about 2 cups of diced potatoes and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.

Add 1 cup of half and half and 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley. Simmer 5 more minutes.

Now add about 50 shucked oysters with around a cup of liquor. OYSTER liquor. Not Jack Daniels. Splash in some Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Do NOT overcook the oysters!!! The should just frizzle on the edges, and be plump. Remove the bay leaves and serve with a Parmesan Tuile.

Parmesan Tuile

This is so damned easy, even I can do it. Lay out some parchment paper or a SilPat on a cookie sheet. Get around 2 cups of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Heat the oven to 350. For each tuile put 3 tablespoons of cheese on the paper to form a 3" round. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Cool for 1 minute, then using a spatula remove them and place on another piece of parchment to cool. You can put them in an airtight container for up to 24 hours if you want to make them ahead of time.

Add a tuile to your bowl of oyster chowder.

I make some cheddar and bacon biscuits to go with. This is some damned fine eatin', I GAWR-ON-TEE!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my GAWD, my heart, be still my heart! I'd better head down to Billy's Seafood at Bon Secour before the next round of rain!!!

    ReplyDelete