Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Round 2!!!!!

Had an early day today. Got to the job about 45 minutes early and had time to have a latte with Maryam. Maryam is my friend that has sold me flowers on a weekly basis for years. It is great to get to know her on a more personal level. Learned a bunch, and made pumpkin pecan coffee, set up a soda pop display and sample station, had baguettes cut for our olive oil sample bar....and then it was off to produce to ask the produce manager what he wanted to feature today.

Garnet Sweet Potatoes from Oregon!!!!

Garnet sweet potatoes are my favorite. The are sweeter than ordinary sweet potatoes and have a gorgeous deep orange color. They are not as stringy, either. They are moist, and are perfect for any dish that calls for sweet potatoes.

I decided to make Pecan Praline Mashed Taters. How can you resist? Hell, it smelled so good I expected a stampede to come in the front door! I probably should have worn protective gear, in case I was tackled!

It was so simple, yet so decadent.

PECAN PRALINE MASHED SWEET POTATOES

(this will make a crapload)

8 large sweet potatoes cut in half.
Butter... 1 1/2 sticks unsalted
Brown Sugar to taste
Apple Pie spice generous sprinkles ( this is a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice)
Praline covered Pecans chopped coarsely. I like a lot.
Heavy cream ( just a few splashes)
A splash of Grand Marnier ( and a snifter for yourself)

Bake or steam the sweet potatoes until fork tender. Peel while still hot and put in large bowl. Wear gloves. Them things is HOT!
Add butter and start mashing. By equally mashing and whipping the potatoes in circular motions you will eliminate all stringiness. Add apple pie spice and brown sugar. Taste. Add more of whatever you think it needs. Add the Pecans. Splash in some Grand Marnier if you haven't drank it all. Finally add just enough cream to make it creamy and smooth. Not too much!

Now who in the world wouldn't love this?????? Screw Thanksgiving. Make it tomorrow night and call me. I need some love songs whispered in my ear. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy...and sweet potatoes are "better" for you . I will try this....j

    ReplyDelete